VickySmith

City of the Fallen (Dark Tides, #1)

City of the Fallen - Diana Bocco What are some of the book's themes? Loyalty, passion and individuality. Isabelle is a human who 'surrenders' herself to a vampire but does so as part of a bigger quest. Marcus and Isabelle become embroiled in an almost forbidden relationship, or rather she feels guilty about it as they each try to defend their own kind. I guess the next book might focus on how these two races actually live together or how one outlives the other. We'll see.
Did the book end the way you expected? How I wish I was given a different question for this book. None of us expected an ending like this and for this reason alone, we're having second thoughts about going anywhere near Book 2. The ending was abrupt, jerky and ended on a cliffhanger worse than who killed JR Ewing.
Top 3 things I liked about the whole book. Simple reactions that will stay with this reader. For instance, the author uses phrases like "his heart thumped against his ribs" or "the silence of the tunnels were too terrifying to ignore". Secondly, I liked how Marcus and Isabelle were significantly different and that their second thoughts about each other were so obvious to the reader and yet hidden from each other. Lastly, the pacing for each scene was fantastic. Everything the characters felt, this reader felt.

Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from the author.